Cutting out the middle man!

Bushcraft Discussion
Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Sep 2018 22 08:20

Cutting out the middle man!

Hey Folks! Its been a while! While away I've been doing some thinking... My own bushcraft/camping style tends to be minimalist. In regards to cutting tools I think most folks are familiar with the Nessmuk trio,,, " a pocket knife, and fixed blade and chopping tool" of some kind... in reading Nessmuks book again,, His actual bush craft knife.. for carving, crafting, edc and such was his folder. in his case a Moose patter slipjoint.. the fixe blade was delegated to food and game duty.. and obviously the chopper for heavy work,.. In my effort to further cut down my gear I;ve been playing with eliminating a belt knife from my gear.. (I don't know that I can do it LOL) but he concept of having a knife you can are used to and can perform bushcraft tasks with as an edc on your person.. regardless of where you are is appealing..Ive heard it said that a survival knife is the one you have on you when a situation occurs.. With that said.. It is impossible to predict the reality of these situations,,and I cant always have a fixed blade on me or even close at hand.. I do always have a folder in my pocket however...(Sorry I have a touch of OCD and tend to overthink things)
So the idea of having a good capable folder at all times... paired witha multifunction heavy tool when heading into the scrub.. is something I'm playing with..
How many of our grandads took us camping with a stockman pocket knife and a hatchet?

Swiss army knives are great contenders for me Though I donlt have much use for the can and bottle openers.. they are well made, they are great carvers, easy to sharpen, relatively inexpensive.. the wood saws for there size are brilliant... They can be difficult to clean all the crevices and such when sandy, or gutted uo with food residue or blood.etc Not that's is a factor but they are not that sexy either LOL

Opinels are another favorite of mine.. simple solid lock.. thin carbon blade razor sharp blade.. simple so not allot can go wrong.. the wood can swell when wet making the difficult to open and close... I find if I soak it in mineral oil over night every 6 months or so it is not a problem.. The Swiss knives are better carvers.. but the opis are great for food and game.. I think opinels need some customization to be ideal..

SO the question is 2 fold..

DO any of you use a folding knife, heavy tool combo, or would you consider it?

If you were to pick a folding knife as an edc/bushcraft knife what would it be and why?

Looking forward to some good natured and informative responses

Stay Blessed guys!
" The Best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm"-Anonymous
Blessings!

CCO
Worker
Worker
Sep 2018 22 17:05

Re: Cutting out the middle man!

I love the idea of just having a good Bush folder. I've been eyeing the Bush ranger from cold steel, just wish I could find a more budget friendly version. https://www.coldsteel.com/bush-ranger.html

Skeledon
Site Owner
Site Owner
Sep 2018 22 18:03

To answer both questions properly, I have used a folder and my Bowie combo and they worked well together but as you see now, I upgraded to the Garberg Bowie combo. From the experience that I have had, the first combo worked and worked well but I would only do that again if I had no other option. And there are many different options better than Cold Steel anything for a folding knife, their quality is true but the cost is way to much, they do have some good options, but I would be looking more towards the Kershaw folders personally, Kershaw has it all, large selection, fair prices, durable, high quality, easy to keep clean, keeps an edge well and easy to sharpen. They are my go to for folding knives. So I hope that helps 😊

Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sep 2018 22 22:19

For most of my life a Case Stockman was the only knife I carried unless I was hunting. If I were truly stranded and had to survive for weeks or longer I would want a larger fixed blade but for everyday carry a good folder is fine.

Wood Steel & Leather
Worker
Worker
Sep 2018 28 15:59

I really like the Opinel #8, and carry one every day. A good sharp folder and a hatchet should be able to do anything you need to do. I carried a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman for a few years too, until I lost it. That thing was actually bigger than most fixed blades that I would carry now, and would definitely span the gap between a folder and a hatchet. That said, in a "survival situation" I would still want both a folder and a fixed blade if I had the option.

WandelPAD
Worker
Worker
Sep 2018 29 02:26

I always carry a fixed blade and a folder. Might switch out my folder depending on whether I go hiking or doing bushcraft. I really like my opinel number 8 great knive. I use a Ganzo as my EDC. One is none two is one

ext/dmzx/imageupload/files/aabacde0966c ... 005f0c.jpg

Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Sep 2018 30 07:47

Hey Brothers an Sisters!

Thank you so much for the great answers.. Allot of great ideas,, and awesome knives Thanks so much!
Stay blessed!