Dutch Baby

Got a favorite recipe you;d like to share? We'd love to know it.
Rate this topic
Wood Steel & Leather
Worker
Worker
Sep 2018 16 21:59

Dutch Baby

This is a recipe I came across a while ago, and finally tried out. I made it in the oven, but I figured it would make a good bushcraft recipe because it's so simple and ideal for dutch oven cooking. It's sort of a baked pancake, originating with early German settlers in the US. It can be a breakfast or a desert depending on how sweet you make it.

The batter:
-3 eggs
-2/3-cup milk
-a packed 1/2-cup of flour
-pinch of salt
-optional, a tablespoon of sugar or more if you want it sweeter (I used 1 tablespoon)
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (Personally I prefer it without vanilla.)

If you mix the milk and flour together first before you add the eggs, there will be fewer lumps. This recipe is for a 10-inch skillet, might want to double it if you have a really big skillet or dutch oven.

For the original Dutch Baby, heat up a cast iron skillet and melt a a few tablespoons of butter in it. When it's good and hot, pour in the batter, and put it in the oven at 425F for 20-25 minutes until it's golden brown and puffed up. Or use your dutch oven instead a skillet, put the lid on with some coals, etc. The usual topping is powdered sugar and lemon juice, but maple syrup or jam would be good too. Reminds me of the Eierkuchen pancakes my grandfather used to make, but way easier to make.

There is also a version with apples in the bottom, which is what I made. Heat up your skillet or dutch oven with the butter as before, and throw in some chopped apples. I used 5 small ones, 3 or 4 large ones would be plenty. I also added a few tablespoons of sugar, some cinnamon, and a touch of ground ginger. Cook until the apples are mushy and the juice has mostly boiled off. Pour in the batter and bake as above. Should be enough for two people, but it was so good I ate the whole thing.

Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Sep 2018 30 07:58

Re: Dutch Baby

Hey Brother!

That sounds Awesome! My Brother in law makes something similar he just cals the German Pancakes! They are awesome!
When I get mys property to stomp around, or when the boys get older and I star taking them canoe camping.. a Dutch oven is definitely on my to get list!
Stay Blessed!
" The Best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm"-Anonymous
Blessings!

Rate this topic