Squatch encounter!

Survival Discussions
Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Aug 2018 10 14:59

Squatch encounter!

I don't tell this tale to many people.. as It is so bizarre some would never believe it.... Looking back, I;m not sure I do myself.. It all started about 10 years ago.. I was back country camping in a very isolated section or the Adirondacks.. I had heard tales of " mysterious encounters" in that area, but I had always dismissed it as fairytales... The sun was getting low on the horizon, still dappling the lake with golden sparkles.. Like some hologram of spilled pirated treasure.. The loons began crooning their haunting cry across the empty expanse of the cornflower blue surface of the mountain lake.. I was busy collecting kindling.. Thinking how blessed I am am to be a part of this spectacle, when my sense of wonder and awes was shattered by an unfamiliar sound. A single abrupt, violent knock of wood on wood cracked through the air and echoed across the lake like a gunshot. I snapped from my day dream as if awoken from a dead sleep by the honking horn of a Mack Truck. Than.. there was silence....no loons, no birds.. only the gentle laping of the lake waves as they sought union with the shore line. A minute or 2 past. The rhythm of the forest began to restore itself to some equilibrium.. first with the small birds, than the chattering of a red squirrel somewhere off in the dusk alerting the rest of the forest to my presence. I found this comforting, and began to write the incident off as one of those unexplained things. I found solace in my typical camp routine of gathering way more wood than I would ever need. my mind wandered as it always does, stopping to look at the patterns in bark mad by sapsuckers, or to revel in the hoot of a barred owl in the distance.. TI was dusk now, I was still a little on edge, but feeling much more relaxed than before.

The gentle music of the forest was shattered again this time by the splintering crack of a limb, much closer than before, much louder.. as if someone had used a tow truck to break a telephone pole in half. This was too much of a coincidence. My heart was in my throat. I grabbed my head lamp from my pack and scrambled to thumb a shell into the tiny single shot .22 that I keep in the pack for the odd grouse or rabbit. I knew it would be poor medicine against anything large enough to make these sounds, but I found some comfort in the feel of it in my hands. as if some small anemic blanket of protection lay draped over me. I treaded carefully fox walking as best I could towards the direction of the sound. The sky was gray with twilight by the lake, but in the woods, it was dark. any remnant of sun choked out by the intertwined hands of the eastern hemlock branches. The bed of there fallen needles padding the ground softening my approach. My vision limited to the dinner plate sized cut out of light that my headlamp punched through the cloak of darkness. Now about 300 yards from my camp I found the source of the noise, an eastern hemlock roughly the diameter of my leg snapped almost completely in half about 8 feet up... Jagged splinters jutting out like spikes on the defensive wall of some fallen evergreen castle.

I tightened my grip on the small child sized rifle, and unconsciously flicked my sweaty index finger across the safety checking for the 50th time since leaving the camp (still safe) . My mind was spinning, my breath coming in heavy gasps. This didn't add up! What could possibly do this? I made a conscious effort to slow my breath calm my pounding heart which flickered like a jack hammer in my chest. I strained all me senses, listening for the tiniest sound. I could only hear my own ragged breath. I inhaled and held it, trying to give myself a moment of complete silence. Straining my ears into the darkness I could still hear the sound of heavy breathing.
The disk of light emitted by my headlamp spanned slowly across the backdrop of the dark primal forest the breathing sounding now like gusts of a hurricane swirling somewhere in the black expanse around me. Continuing to crane my neck I spotted something, an immense brown leaf littered covered hand reaching from the darkness towards me like the giant claw of some hair covered excavator.

I am normally not easily frightened, but there was something unnatural about this, or may something too natural about it, a rhythm predating out time on earth. The fight or flight response kicked in and I took off like a shot through the forest towards my camp. Almost instantly I could hear the brush behind me explode and the sound of heavy foot steps, 1 for every 3 or 4 I took bounding close behind me. I prayed I would not trip.. If I could just make it to camp, to my canoe I might be able to take to the water. I dug deep, and ran even faster.. The night air burning in my lungs like fire.. The lactic acid eating through my leg muscle. My head pounded with pain my heart ready to explode, I could see a break in the forest through the trees. The shore of the lake, my camp, my canoe. The footsteps thudded ever closer. I could fell the hot wet bursts of the creatures breath on my neck, the stench of decay hung heavy in the air.

I burst through the tree line at a dead run. mere feet from my canoe. I extended both hands to push the boat directly into the water, and with every bit of strength and energy I had in reserve I pushed it into the black water of the lake. I was going to make it I could feel it. When out of nowhere I felt a heavy thud as the large catchers mitt shaped hand fell on to my should with a definitive clap which echoed across the lake like the crack of bull whip. The inevitability of my situation became apparent, I flicked the safety off of the .22 ready for what was surely to come.

With new resolve and an unwillingness to accept my fate I began to turn to face my certain doom, when I felt the hot breath again on my neck and hear the strained half human gravely voice say.... " Tag! Your it"

This area is for campfire stories right?
" The Best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm"-Anonymous
Blessings!

Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Aug 2018 10 16:20

Re: Squatch encounter!

So YOU'RE the one I tagged! Great story and makes the campfire that much more appreciated.

Skeledon
Site Owner
Site Owner
Aug 2018 10 17:09

Absolutely loved it lol The one I heard was about a purple monkey :lol: but I enjoyed yours loads better :lol: Thank you my brother for sharing that awesome Campfire tale!!!!!

Bushcrafter channel
Aug 2018 10 17:30

Brother that story was awesome loved it

Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Aug 2018 11 12:16

Hey guys! Thanks so much for the kind words!
Stay blessed!

Bushcraft Bytes
Forum Admin 1
Forum Admin 1
Sep 2018 03 16:32

Hemlock waterdropwort: deadly

Hemlock waterdropwort is a member of the carrot and parsley family and share many characteristics of his edible brothers but make no mistake his is a fatal poison and the root ( that somewhat resembles wild carrots are particularly poisonous.hwdw grows in fresh water streams, lakes, canals, marshes and wet woodlands.
The plant itself smells of gone off parsley when broken. It grows to about 1;.5 m tall and has a hollow, hairless stem and it is almost over in shape the leaves are divided ( carry family leaves) and have rounded lobbed ends.