Home made gear verse store bought

Bushcraft Discussion
Bushcrafter channel
Aug 2018 06 02:58

Home made gear verse store bought

What is everyone's thought on home made gear verses store bought gear which is better ?

Skeledon
Site Owner
Site Owner
Aug 2018 06 03:00

Re: Home made gear verse store bought

I prefer home made gear if at all possible, I feel that it improves ones skills a lot more and it definitely hones them :) some gear is fine to buy but I personally like to test myself as if I was in a situation that purchasing gear would not be an option. That's my thoughts anyway :)

Bushcrafter channel
Aug 2018 06 03:06

Agreed I much rather make my gear thats nothing wrong with buying gear. But it seems now a days it's all about high priced gear with many people. I see so many people on youtube spending lots of money on gear and the sad part is a person can make the same product ten times cheaper. So definitely home made gear for the win

Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Aug 2018 06 10:57

Great topic! I've always been a wits over kits guy.. I much prefer to make my own gear whenever possible.. I was not blessed with an overabundance of talent in this area, but I compensate with tenacity and a willingness to cope with ugly gear LOL... There is a tremendous draw in the internet community in regards to gear.. People want reviews.. They want gear, and it seems in general the more expensive the better LOL... I think this is a sing of the times as we live in a largely consumer based society. I find gear based videos and channels do very well on youtube I attribute this to the fact that it is relatively easy to buy gear.. but developing knowledge and skill takes time.. having the best gear seems like a fast track to success. Gear is great but no substitution for knowledge. Both however is a recipe for success.. Philosophical musings aside. I prefer to make and use my own gear as much as possible.. The abilty to make and repair your own gear is another step on the journey to complete self reliance.. and its just plain cool! Great post!
ATB
Bushbum
" The Best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm"-Anonymous
Blessings!

CCO
Worker
Worker
Aug 2018 06 11:37

If I had the skills to make my own gear I would. I don't believe in paying soooo much money for gear. My YouTube channel is very budget. So I like to go to the dollar stores and what have you, and get creative. Making gear out of stuff that wasn't intended as gear. Like the 4 dollar hatchet I just bought and re edged Haha. I put a couple pictures up here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641071292680565/

Bushcraft Bytes
Forum Admin 1
Forum Admin 1
Aug 2018 06 16:31

I have a fair amount of quite high price gear and this has been accumulated over many years but if you watch my videos you'll see little of it. I find that the best part is it's all still like new because it's rarely used. It doesn't matter how much it costs or if you make your own it's the skills and knowledge you gain in whatever you do that is priceless. You can own a $1000 knife or a $500 axe but if it's sitting at home and you can't make a blade from flint or churt when the s*#+ Hits the fan then it's not even worth a $1. Cultivate knowledge and understanding and the gear you'll need is minimal because what you need and how to improvise is carried in your mind and in your muscles and you can't put a price tag on that ( just my 5 pence / cents worth lol

Gray Man Outdoors
Gatherer
Gatherer
Aug 2018 08 02:12

I've always liked personally made stuff over store bought when able. I'm working on a knife now for my everyday carry bush knife.
Unplug and Get Outdoors

Bushbum
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Aug 2018 08 08:59

Gray Man Outdoors wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:12 am
I've always liked personally made stuff over store bought when able. I'm working on a knife now for my everyday carry bush knife.
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

Live to Survive
Gatherer
Gatherer
Sep 2018 04 00:22

I make a lot of my own gear, or modify bought gear to make it work for me. I can sew and own a sewing machine so that helps a lot. I actually should have a video coming on Youtube in a day or so of a bag I made for my fire kit. I also have a TAG video with my favorite bushcraft knife that shows a drop leg attachment I made for my SCHF37. Liners for my dehydrator, pouches, pack accessories, pan handles to make them more compact, fire starters, and the list goes on. I love to make things, I always have. So why buy when you can build? Now..... Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of gear I'd like to have to add to my collection, but I rarely buy it.
Do What You Can... With What You Have... Where You Are.
.....Theodore Roosevelt